Friday, May 25, 2012

My Annoying Little Sister

Before I became the wise, tolerant, exceptionally mature person I am now, I spent a fair portion of time complaining about, tormenting, and ostracizing my little sister.

She is nine years younger. 

I mean, let's face it, it was kind of her fault.  She didn't exactly set a good tone from the very beginning--she wasn't the brother I'd planned on.  I asked Mom and Dad if we could call her Jezebel, but no one seemed to hear me.  They were too busy squealing over the new baby.

Fast forward about 10 years.

Adulthood has a way of changing your perspective.  Turns out, my little sister is actually quite likeable.  She's quirky and funny, intelligent and kind, and, overall, a pretty great person.



 So here's the problem:  she's decided to grow up and leave me. 

She just got her Master's Degree and thinks it's time to venture off into the world, become a real person, blah, blah, blah.  So she goes and accepts a job in Florida.

Florida!  I live in Kansas.  (Admittedly, I didn't do well in geography, but I think that's about 3 gazillion miles away.)

I've been working through the 5 stages of grief.  I think I'm through the Denial part, I've definitely been Angry, and, believe me, I've tried Bargaining with her.  So, here I am, wallowing in the bottomless pit of Depression, experiencing an occasional thunderstorm of Anger.

Acceptance can bite it.  Whatever "it" is.

Little sister, in the craft show world alone, you've been my seeing eye dog, heavily-laden pack mule, and fellow dying animal noise.  (She'll understand that, even if you don't.)  I can't even begin to go into all the other things you've been to me.

I know she's not exactly dying and leaving the world forever, but when you live out in the country with four rowdy boys and limited, enjoyable adult interaction, it sure seems like this move is EPIC-ly bad.

I love you, little sister.  If Florida mysteriously gets detached from the North American continent and drifts off to sea, I think there's a 4th bedroom here with your name on it.  I'm just saying.

2 comments:

  1. It might be helpful to explain that the first image is of your clever sister convincing her dog to go up steep, fire escape-like stairs and then forcing the dog down a twisty slide with her.

    Also, the same clever sister is very sad to leave her older sister and is grateful for all the love, support, and shared cynicism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought leaving the picture up to the reader's imagination was more exciting. :)

    By the way, in case you didn't know, I have a basement room over here called "Aunt Joy's Room." Florida's overrated. I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete